Thursday, October 31, 2013

Here Comes Another Garbage TV Show

It's not a secret that TV shows have been progressively getting stupider and stupider. Whatever happened to those great long running shows like ER and Law and Order? It seems like now, all people care about is what dress Kim Kardashian wore or who that oh-so steamy guy from the bachelor picked to be his fiancee. Now, I'm not completely immune to the plague of reality TV. I have watched my fair share of the Kardashians and have watched all seasons of the Jersey Shore, but there is one show, just one reality TV show that I will never, ever, EVER watch again. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a new type of garbage. Unfortunately, I am not analyzing the content of the show (which is awful) rather, the effects of such a TV show and the possible frameworks for interpretation.

So I think everybody here knows who Honey Boo Boo is so I'm not going to go into a deep summary because frankly it's not necessary. I think the effects of a show like Honey Boo Boo can be both positive and negative. I know many people who for some weird reason actually like watching Honey Boo Boo and think it's a great show. But why? Not going to lie, but it's probably because they are funny people. But not funny like ha-ha nice jokes. Funny as in ha-ha you did something dumb so I'm going to make fun of you. And that to me is not OK. In my opinion the show's producers have this show just to make fun of and stare at the family, like animals at a zoo. Who wants to be treated that away? Also, this show is adding unnecessary stereotypes to our culture. People who don't understand might think that all Americans act like that when many clearly don't. To me, shows like these only give negative stereotypes to Americans and I don't appreciate such shows appearing on my TV screen.

Also, lets inspect this through a classicist point of view. Some people might view this to be very rude and disrespectful because we are making fun of the poor people of our nation. I don't know how to look at this. I mean yeah, we do have a TV show where we are basically ridiculing a family but it's not BECAUSE they are poor. The show is for a different reason the purpose that I personally don't understand. So, I think now that the show has been going on for some time it can be seen as though a poorer family is being made fun of but I don't think that was the original purpose.

Like I said, I think the show is dumb but my opinion doesn't matter. I think the content is dumb and I don't get why these people are on TV but that doesn't stop me from believing that these people are being exploited for the wrong reasons. It doesn't matter if the producers say it's just for "fun". It's rude and offensive.



No comments:

Post a Comment