Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Perfect College Essay

I went to this seminar last week about how to write a good college application essay. The professor said the key is to write about how you overcame a challenge- college's love that stuff. The essay has to show that you had a struggle in your life and how you dealt with it. This got me thinking, I'm 16 and nothing has really happened to me. I mean nothing serious at least. Nobody has died (thank god), no near death experiences (yet), and no... well nothing. Nothing has happened in my life that is worth writing about.

So, if you're one of those unfortunate (or fortunate in a normal world) people who has had nothing horrible happen to them, what the heck are you supposed to write about? College's have heard millions of times about how "I failed a test and ended up getting an A in the class" or "My dog ran away and it was really hard".  What else can you write about? I'm sure you can pick a different prompt but the classic "list a time when you overcame adversity" always pops up. I think it's a really important question to answer. It shows colleges that you were capable of overcoming a challenge in your life and it also shows how you dealt with the situation, not that you just gave up.

I'm a junior in high school and it's about time to start thinking about colleges. I know I still have about a year before I need to start submitting applications but still. What could I write about? The closest thing that I can think of at this point is that one time in 6th grade when I fractured my spine, but even that wasn't a big deal because it wasn't a life altering event. It was kind of hard on me, but I wasn't hospitalized or anything. I just wore a back brace for 3 months. This gets me thinking, maybe it's not about the actual event rather, how you write about? Maybe, colleges will think you're phenomenal if you write a great essay about how hard it was when your dog ran away. I don't know. I'm worried about this aspect of college. I have absolutely NO idea what I would write about. I NEED IDEAS!!





No comments:

Post a Comment